With millennials well into adulthood, businesses are now turning their attention to the next generation entering the workforce: Generation Z. Who are they, and what are their attitudes toward print?
WHO IS GENERATION Z?
While age ranges vary, most reports of Generation Z describe them as being born between between 1995 and 2012. Businesses should pay attention: they make up about 25% of the population and are estimated to become 40% of consumers by 2020. Most of Generation Z could be described as digital natives. They have never known a life without digital products and services like Google, mobile phones, and Wifi. With mobile technology a constant in their lives, recent reports show that they spend nearly three hours a day on social media applications.
Generation Z appreciates brands that make authentic, personal connections with them, such as responding quickly to their questions on social media or learning about their preferences.  In a recent survey, 65% of this demographic reported that brands should take a stand on social issues. Despite growing up digital, Generation Z values tailored shopping experiences and prefers engaging with products at brick-and-mortar stores. Still, 75% use their phones to research products while shopping.
GENERATION Z AND THE APPEAL OF PRINT
Generation Z represents an emerging market for the print industry. Recent reports find that they:
- Spend about 1 hour each week reading magazines
- Prefer reading printed books 
- Favor printed learning materials (textbooks, research articles) to help them focus
- Value print media and trust print publications more than digital media 
REACHING GENERATION Z
Are you looking to update your business approach and reach out to the next generation of consumers? Here are four tips to consider:
- Incorporate digital technology into brick-and-mortar experiences
- Does your website function across all devices?
- Build customer relationships in person and on social media channels
- See our blog post on social media in the print industry
- Provide personalized and customized products and services
- Collect available data and build profiles of your customers
- Share your company mission and values
The infographic  below summarizes this blog post. Feel free to download or share it!